Monday, January 24, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cream Scones

I've been craving something chocolaty and homemade.  I randomly stumbled upon this recipe on foodlibrarian.blogspot.com.  I've found a few things on her blog that I really like.  I came home from work and decided to try this recipe, because it seemed simple, yet decedent.  I cut the scones a little bigger than the recipe said to, but I didn't think that 1/16th of the dough was enough for a single scone!  So, I made 12 instead.  Regardless of the size, I ate 2 of them because they were so good!




Chocolate Chip Cream Scones
Adapted from: Cream Scones from the Art and Soul of Baking (page 152). This is a very good book - buy it on Amazonor find it in your library.

2 cups (10 oz) all-purpose flour
1/4 cup (1 3/4 oz) granulated sugar
2 1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1 stick butter (4 oz) (cold, cut into pieces)
1 cup (8 oz) heavy whipping cream (cold)
1/2 - c. chocolate chunks 

Topping
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 T sanding sugar or granulated sugar

1. Preheat over to 425 degrees
2. Mix together dry ingredients. 
3. Using a pastry cutter, two knives or your fingers (I used a cheese grater), cut in the butter. 
4. Add whipping cream and chocolate chips. Blend together quickly (I use my hands and/or a spatula). Do not overmix.
5. Shape into a round or square. 
6. Brush with egg wash. Sprinkle with sugar.
7. Cut into shapes. Place on parchment or Silpat covered baking sheet.
8. Bake for 14-16 minutes until golden brown and delicious.


This was the perfect recipe to make after work, because it was simple and didn't take long to make.  So, I didn't have to sit around waiting to devour these delicious little pillows of greatness!

1 comment:

  1. I made these this morning and they were wonderful! I made 16 scones and ate two. I had to force myself to leave the rest alone. So yummy.

    ReplyDelete