Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Slow Cooker Chicken Gumbo

I'm finally posting this after a month, or so. I just made this again and remembered that I hadn't blogged about it yet. I found the recipe on Maria's Nutritious and Delicious Journal. It's an easy recipe that you don't have to stay in the kitchen for hours to make.

1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in 2 inch pieces
1 - 10 ounce package frozen okra, thawed
2 links andouille sausage, diced
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 cup chopped onions
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp Celtic sea salt (I used kosher salt, because that's what I had)
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp mustard powder (I used dried mustard, but I think it's the same thing)
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper ( I used ground red pepper)
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups Contadina Thick and Zesty sauce
2 cups cauliflower rice

In a slow cooker, combine the raw chicken and all the remaining ingredients, except cauliflower rice. Mix well. Cover and cook on low for 6 - 8 hours or on high for 3 - 4 hours. Serve over cauliflower rice.

I do my cauliflower rice a little differently than what I've read. I pulse some cauliflower in the food processor, until it looks like rice. I then saute it in a skillet with some butter and olive oil. I add some dried thyme and oregano about halfway through. It takes on a slightly nutty taste, but it tastes so good.

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment