Friday, October 14, 2011

Time on my hands and food on my mind

Due to COVID-19 spreading like wildfire, I have been temporarily laid off. And since I'm not one who does well sitting around and doing nothing, I have been keeping myself busy with cooking and crafting projects. I was going through old posts and found this recipe that was still just a draft. It's such a great recipe and it would be a shame not to share it. I'm the only one in my house who will eat Thai food, so I'll wait until Sunday night and make it after dropping off the boys with their dad.


Shelly's Thai Red Chicken Curry

1 Tbsp coconut oil
2 Tbsp garlic
1 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
3 Tbsp red curry paste (I like it spicy!)
1/2 small onion, chopped small
1 large red bell pepper, large dice
1 can bamboo shoots, sliced
1/2 lb carrots, peeled and sliced thin
1/2 head cauliflower, chopped small, about 1/2" pieces
1/2 bag bean sprouts
2 cans coconut milk
1/4 c chicken broth
1 1/2 lbs chicken breast, sliced thin
1/2 tsp lime juice or 3-4 lime leaves, minced
1/2 c Thai basil OR 1/2 c basil and 1/2 c mint
1/4 c cilantro
Chile-garlic sauce to taste (I only added this because I ran out of curry paste.)

In a large pot, heat coconut oil over medium heat for 2 min. Add garlic and ginger, saute 1-2 min or until fragrant. Add curry paste and stir to combine. Add veggies and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Shake up cans of coconut milk before opening and pour into pot along with chicken broth. Bring to boil and stir in chicken. Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is cooked through, 3-4 min. Stir in lime juice or leaves and herbs. Add chile-garlic sauce, salt and pepper to taste.

I like switching up the veggies, basically just cleaning out my veggie drawer and throwing everything in the pot. This is great over cauliflower rice if you're watching your carb intake, but otherwise I serve it over jasmine rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment