Sunday, July 31, 2011

Homemade Magic Shell Ice Cream Topping - No Chemicals!

I worked at the DQ when I was in high school. I have no idea how many Dilly bars and ice cream cones I dipped in the shell stuff over those years. Or how many "chocolate chip" milkshakes and blizzards I made with it. I loved to dip a cone in the shell, stick it in the freezer to harden and then double-dip it. It ended up with a thick coating of chemical-filled, artificially flavored, chocolatey goodness. Loved it. I even tried the kind I found at the grocery store, that was years and years ago. But no more of that junk for me, especially since trying to cut out anything with ingredients that I can't pronounce. Ever read the ingredients list for your sundae toppings? Yuck!

I happened upon this recipe the other day on this blog and just had to try it, you know, for old time's sake. This was one of the easiest things I've ever made. I'm serious. Super-duper simple and much tastier than the store-bought crap that is all chemicals and artificial junk. It's 3 ingredients and can easily be made sugar-free using Stevia.

Side note: I have found some amazing sounding recipes on that blog. Check it out.

Magic Shell Topping

6 Tbsp melted coconut oil
6 Tbsp cocoa powder
4 Tbsp honey or to taste - it was too sweet for me, so I added more cocoa until I could handle it.

Mix it all together in a bowl until it's smooth. Drizzle over ice cream and let it harden. Viola!

All three ingredients are shelf-stable, so you don't need to refrigerate it. Transfer the Magic Shell to a air-tight container and put it in the pantry. Coconut oil gets super hard in the fridge, like chip a tooth hard. So if you do refrigerate it, you'll need to melt it before using it.

I put it over some Haagen Daz 5 Ingredient Vanilla ice cream and topped it all with some homemade, unsweetened, bing cherry compote. I'm telling you, it was heaven in a bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment