Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Almond-Crusted Chicken Fingers With 2 Dipping Sauces

Chicken fingers are Joshua's favorite thing to eat. If we go out to eat, that's what he orders every time, if the restaurant has them. If they don't, he's one disappointed kid. So I figured it was time to make some that are primal-friendly so I can feel better about him eating them all the time. All that wheat flour breading and peanut or canola oil is a little unsettling to me.

There really isn't anything complicated about making breaded chicken. It's just messy, the main reason I avoid doing it. The other reason, I've had a bad experience with raw chicken. (see my last chicken recipe post) But since I have a big tub of disinfecting wipes and a box of latex gloves under the kitchen sink, I have been more willing to work with raw chicken.

The kids just ate these with honey-mustard sauce, ketchup or straight honey while Eric and I put them on some salad and drizzled the honey-mustard over it all. Yummy. Eric was full after just two chicken fingers with salad. I was stress eating and ate four. But I was really overly-full afterward. I think two would have been plenty. Next time, I think I may brine the chicken to keep it a bit more moist. I think the almond flour dried them out a bit.

Here's the simple recipe along with a couple sauces that are great for dipping.

2 lbs chicken tenders or breasts cut into strips
4 c almond flour
4 eggs
Salt & Pepper
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Cayenne pepper
Coconut oil for frying

Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
In a medium bowl, beat eggs together with salt and pepper.
In another medium bowl, combine almond flour and seasonings, to taste.
Remove any fat from the chicken.
Dip chicken into flour, then egg and back into flour. They should be well coated.
Place them on a foil-lined baking sheet after coating.
Heat oil in large skillet over med-high heat until shimmering.
Working in batches, not over-crowding the pan, brown chicken for 2 minutes. Turn them over and brown for another 2 minutes.
Move browned chicken to another foil-lined baking sheet and start another batch browning.
Once the chicken fingers have all been browned, bake for 10 minutes.

While chicken fingers are baking, make your dipping sauces.

Honey-Mustard Dipping Sauce
(Perfect as a salad dressing as well)

1/2 c Dijon mustard
4-6 Tbsp honey
Salt & pepper

Whisk all ingredients in a small bowl. If you like your honey-mustard spicier, use the smaller amount of honey and add more if needed.

Buffalo Wing Dipping Sauce

1/4 c butter, melted
1/4 - 1/2 c hot sauce

Whisk together. Start with the smaller amount of hot sauce and add more until it's as hot as you like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment