Monday, August 22, 2011

Quick and Simple Chicken Tortilla Soup

The other day, I was at a loss about what to serve for dinner. So, I got out my crock pot, threw in some chicken tenders, a taco spice packet and a little water. I let it cook on low for about 4 hours. By then it was falling apart and shredding nicely. The flavor was a bit bland, so I added about 1 1/2 cups of homemade salsa to it. Still not quite what I wanted, but we ate it anyway.

A few days later, we still had quite a bit of the chicken left. Everyone was tired of eating it straight, so I decided to try something. I put 1/2 cup of homemade salsa in a bowl, added 1/2 cup of chicken broth and a big scoop of the shredded chicken. I popped it all in the microwave until it was hot, added a dollop of sour cream and a bit of shredded cheese. There you have it! A very simple and very quick bowl of tortilla soup (minus the tortilla strips of course).

My salsa recipe is very simple as well:

Get out your food processor.
Core and quarter 2lbs of tomatoes
Peel and quarter an onion.
Remove the stem (and seeds, if you don't want it spicy) from 1-2 jalapenos.
Dump all those in the food processor and pulse until chopped small.
Add 1-2 Tbsp chopped garlic, 2-4 Tbsp lime juice, one chipotle pepper in adobo sauce and a handful of cilantro or parsley.
Process it all until it is finely chopped and well mixed.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.


No comments:

Post a Comment