Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Avocado-Tomato Salad with Chimichurri

I went out to Bar Louie last night. I had a steak with chimichurri sauce on it. It was amazing. But my favorite part of the meal was the avocado and tomato salad. It was drizzled with the chimichurri too and it was amazing. I ate that first and the steak was kind of an after thought. I think I would have rather had more of the salad and skipped the steak altogether. I decided that I had to make it at home and found that chimichurri sauce is amazingly easy to make. All you need is the ingredients (all were already in my fridge and/or pantry) a bowl, a whisk, a glass measuring cup and either a blender or food processor.

Chimichurri Sauce

1/4 c hot water
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp kosher salt or 1 tsp table salt
1 1/3 c parsley
2/3 c cilantro
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 c red wine vinegar
1/2 c good extra-virgin olive oil

In a medium bowl, combine hot water, oregano and salt. Let sit 5 minutes.
In food processor or blender, pulse parsley, cilantro, garlic and red pepper until roughly chopped. Add water mixture and pulse to combine.
Pour mixture back into the medium bowl and whisk in olive oil.
Cover and let sit at room temp for at least 1 hour. Store in fridge but bring to room temp before using.

Avocado-Tomato Salad

1 large avocado
1 large tomato
1/4 head iceberg lettuce or spring mix greens

Shred the lettuce and put in medium bowl.
Slice avocado and tomato. Place on top of lettuce, alternating avocado slice then tomato slice.
Spoon chimichurri sauce over the top.


No comments:

Post a Comment