Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Oven-Roasted Pork Loin with Apples and Cranberries


Pork loin was on sale this week, so I picked one up. Of course, I had no idea what I was going to do with it once I got it home, but Cook's Illustrated helped me figure that out. I found this recipe and it sounded so yummy that I had to make it. I tweaked it a bit to use what I had on hand and this is what I came up with.

Oven-Roasted Pork Loin with Apples and Cranberries

4 oz (1 c) dried apple-sweetened cranberries
1/2 c apple cider
1 pork loin roast (2 1/2 to 3 lbs)
1 Tbsp Herbs de Provance
Salt & Pepper
3 Tbsp walnut oil - coconut oil would work nicely too
1/2 small onion, medium dice
1 lb Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored & sliced 1/2" thick
2 Tbsp Apple Brandy (optional)
2 Tbsp butter, cold

Move oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 325 degrees F.
Combine cranberries and cider in a microwave-safe bowl. Nuke on high for 30 seconds. Set aside until needed.
Rub herbs, salt and pepper into all sides of the pork roast.
Heat 2 Tbsp oil in a heavy, oven-safe skillet over medium-high until smoking. Sear roast on all sides. Set aside on a large plate.
Add remaining oil and onion to pan. Saute 3-4 minutes or until golden.
Add apples and continue cooking for another 5-7 minutes or until they are golden too.
Pour cider and cranberries into pan.
Nestle pork roast into pan, stick meat thermometer into thickest part of roast and transfer to the oven.
Remove from oven when it reaches 140-145 degrees.
Transfer roast to cutting board and cover lightly with foil. Let rest until thermometer reads 150 degrees F, 15-20 minutes.
If the pan is a little dry, add the brandy and bring it to a boil to cook out the alcohol flavor. Whisk butter into the sauce and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover to keep warm.
Slice roast in 1/2" thick slices and serve, spooning apple mixture over pork.

We had this with some steamed broccoli and a salad. The original recipe called for 1 Tbsp brown sugar, but I left it out of this recipe because it was a little too sweet for my taste. If it needs a little more sweetness at the end, you can always add a little of your favorite sweetener or a little more apple cider.

No comments:

Post a Comment