Monday, May 16, 2011

Zucchini Alfredo with Chicken Sausage and Broccoli

Last week, I made some pretty amazing alfredo sauce and put it over tri-colored pasta with some broccoli and chicken-garlic-spinach sausage. It was so good. But, we are changing our diet and cutting out all grains. That means no more pasta at all. That is one thing that I am really going to miss, or at least I thought I would.

Tonight I decided to try making the alfredo sauce with the chicken sausage and broccoli again. This time, I used my oh-so-handy mandolin to cut zucchini into "noodles." Now these little, slippery buggers were so thin that I was concerned that if I tried to cook them they'd turn into mush. So, I made the sauce and stirred in the zucchini "noodles" in the sauce raw. The heat from the sauce cooked them just enough to soften them up a bit without turning them to mush. And let me tell you, I didn't miss pasta at all. It was so good! We were having spinach salad with it and Eric ripped up some of his and put it in his bowl to add a little more body. That was really good too. I think, next time, I'll chop some spinach and put it in at the same time as the zucchini. Super tasty stuff.

Sorry the picture is fuzzy. I took it with my phone.

Paleo Alfredo - super simple and super yummy

1 1/2 c heavy cream (I used organic)
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
3/4 c Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp black pepper
salt
nutmeg
3 fully-cooked Chicken sausage links, halved lengthwise and then in 1/4" slices
1/2 pound broccoli, cut into bite-size pieces
3/4 pound zucchini, shredded with a grater or mandolin

Bring 1 cup of cream and butter to a boil in heavy sauce pan. Simmer for 15 minutes or until reduced to 2/3 cup. After 5 minutes, start steaming the broccoli and add the sausage to the cream.
When cream is reduced, add the remaining 1/2 cup of cream, Parmesan cheese, pepper and broccoli. Add salt and nutmeg to taste. Stir in the zucchini and allow to warm through.
Serve while still warm. If sauce thickens too much, thin down with a little water.

No comments:

Post a Comment