Saturday, May 28, 2011

Low-Carb Blueberry Muffins

One of the things I miss most about eating low carb is not baking anymore.  There's something almost therapeutic about mixing all of the ingredients together, waiting for it to finish baking, the house being filled with delicious smells and then devouring mass quantities of the glorious result.  I decided that I would find low carb options so that I can still have the experience without the guilt of indulging too much.  I wouldn't say that this recipe was as good as your usual gluten filled option, but it's a good alternative.  Since it's mostly eggs, they come out very moist.  I didn't have fresh blueberries, so I used fresh raspberries, which I enjoyed.  I think I'll toy with the recipe to see if adding more coconut flour or baking powder would make these more "cake-like".  This recipe is good for anyone on a gluten free diet or a low carb diet.  The coconut flour has minimal amounts of carbs, but most of the carbs are fiber, so the net carbs are next to nothing.  The honey obviously has carbs in it, but it's a way better option than refined sugar.


3 eggs, room temperature
2 T coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (if frozen, defrost them and dry them in paper towels)
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line muffin tin with paper or oil. Whisk together eggs, oil, and honey. Add salt, vanilla, nutmeg, coconut flour and baking powder. Whisk until smooth. Gently fold in blueberries. Try not to mix too much or your batter will be blue. Spoon into 6 muffin tins and bake for 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment