Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Dark Chocolate Mousse

I recently had a cooking day with my friend Debe. Sadly, it was cut short because her daughter, Tessa, fell on the trampoline and broke her arm. We made Garlic Pulled Pork which was still slow-roasting when Debe rushed Tessa to the ER. That was the only thing that we'd started. We had planned to make collard greens with bacon and garlic to go with the pork and some Dark Chocolate Mousse too. I figured that after an evening spent in the ER with a child in pain, she was going to need some chocolate when she got home. So I decided to go ahead and make the mousse without her. After all, I had to stick around until either she or her husband got home because her son was there with me and my kids. He's too young to stay home alone. May as well make some awesome dessert, right?!

It turned out pretty perfect in my opinion. It's light and fluffy because it has both whipped egg whites and whipped cream folded into it. I used xylitol instead of sugar and it still turned out great. I used a Cook's Illustrated recipe and tweaked it to my own liking. The original recipe called for 1 tsp espresso and 1 Tbsp brandy. I'm not a fan of coffee in my chocolate and Debe didn't have any brandy, only dark rum, so I skipped those this time. I think the brandy would really enhance the flavor though. Next time I'll add it.

For everyone out there going "strictly primal," I think this would taste just as good, even a bit richer, if you left out the whipped cream.

Premium Dark Chocolate Mousse - serves 8

8 oz Premium Dark Chocolate 62-70% cacao - I used 70% Ghiradelli
3 Tbsp sugar or xylitol
2 Tbsp cocoa powder - preferably Dutch-processed
7 Tbsp water
3 large eggs, whites and yolks separated
1/8 tsp salt
1 c heavy cream

Melt chocolate, cocoa powder, 2 Tbsp sugar and water over boiling water or in microwave. Whisk until smooth.
Whisk egg yolks and 1 1/2 tsp sugar together. Whisk in chocolate mixture and brandy.
With electric mixer or stand mixer, beat egg whites and remaining 1 1/2 tsp sugar to stiff peaks. Fold 1/3 egg whites into chocolate mixture at a time.
Using same bowl and beater, beat heavy cream to stiff peaks. Fold in 1/2 at a time into chocolate mixture, making sure there are no white streaks remaining.
Spoon into individual serving dishes, cover with plastic and chill at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment