I was reading Shelly's last post for the zucchini lasagna and remembered this recipe. It doesn't have bread stuffing, so I didn't feel at all guilty for eating a rather large helping! This recipe is on closetcooking.com.
2 large zucchinis
1 tablespoon oil
2 Italian Sausage (casings removed)
1 small onion (chopped)
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
2 tablespoons white wine
2 tomatoes (diced)
1/2 teaspoon oregano
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon basil (chopped)
1/2 cup mozzarella (grated)
1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (grated)
1. Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out the middle.
2. Chop the zucchini that was scooped out and set aside.
3. Heat the oil in a pan.
4. Add the sausage and brown.
5. Add the onion and saute until tender.
6. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant.
7. Add the wine and deglaze the bottom of the pan.
8. Add the chopped zucchini, tomato, oregano, salt and pepper and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated.
9. Remove from the heat and stir in the basil.
10. Let the stuffing cool.
11. Mix in half of the cheese.
12. Stuff the zucchinis with the stuffing and top with the remaining cheese.
13. Bake in a preheated 400F oven until the zucchinis are tender and the cheese is golden brown, about 20 minutes.